At the July 27, 2016 Board meeting, Business Manager Joel Murphy presented the plan and basic outline for moving to a K-5 elementary school model. The District will be moving to a concept of a Learning Community which will include all aspects of students' lives to make them successful. This includes developing partnerships with parents and the community at large to create a "culture of excellence" called for in the District's Vision Statement. In order to accomplish this, we will move to the five communities as soon as possible. The principals for the five K-5 buildings have been named and will begin to develop a process to assign staff to their new schools. The K-5 principals are as follows: Harrison Street Site - Chrissy Cox, N. 12th Street Site - Cindy Crow, 48th Street & Columbus Road Site - Melanie Schrand, Baldwin Site - Jim Sohn, and Monroe Site - Brian Trowbridge.
K-5 Learning Communities Newsletters:
Boundaries will change to align with the new school sites to create more balance amongst the five elemenatary schools with regard to student demographics, socioeconmics, as well as attendance numbers. All students will be moving to a school that will have a different make up than the one they currently attend. No changes to the K-5 Learning Communities will happen for the Fall 2017 year. The District attendance boundaries will remain the same for the 2017-2018 academic year.
A Boundary Advisory Task Force (BATF) was formed in January 2017 to create new attendance boundaries for the K-5 Elementary Schools.
- New QPS Plan Minimizes Student Transitions by Deborah Gertz Husar of the Quincy Herald-Whig
- Adams, Berrian Principal Pioneering "Learning Communities" in QPS by Deborah Gertz Husar of the Quincy Herald-Whig
- Board Hears about "FTE neutral" K-5 Staffing Plan by Deborah Gertz Husar of the Quincy Herald-Whig
- SAMs Help Prinicipals be the Instructional Leaders They Were Hired to Be by Deborah Gertz Husar of the Quincy Herald Whig
- 'This is a Huge Improvement': QPS'S New Boundary Plan Draws Favorable Reviews by Deborah Gertz Husar of the Quincy Herald Whig
- Task Force Presents 'Compromise' School Boundary Plan by Deborah Gertz Husar of the Quincy Herald Whig