On August 30, 1937, the Quincy Junior High School began its existence. The organization of the new school had been worked out during the preceding spring and summer by Ronald W. Clark, who had been principal of the Webster Elementary and Junior High School during the preceding ten years. All the eighth and ninth grade boys and girls from Quincy were included in the new school. The Junior High School was assigned quarters in the Webster School building, the then new Senior High School Building, at 14th and Maine Streets, and the old Senior High School building at 12th and Maine, which was razed in 1967. The school opened with 1,100 pupils and thirty-six teachers.
From 1937 to 1957 our school included grades eight and nine. Since September of 1957 the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grades occupied the new Senior High School building (which is now Baldwin School) at 30th and Maine Streets. Upon the departure of those students, the seventh grade students were included in the Junior High School.
Since the 2016-17 school year, QJHS serves grades 6, 7, and 8 with inter-disciplinary teaming, and ninth grade students are enrolled at QHS.