3000 Maine Street Quincy, IL 62301
MISSION STATEMENT OF QUINCY PUBLIC SCHOOL NURSES
The mission of the School Nurses of Quincy Public School District #172 is to enhance the educational potential of all students by promoting wellness and facilitating the resolution of health concerns which may create barriers to learning.
PHILOSOPHY OF SCHOOL HEALTH
The National Association of School Nurses defines school nursing as:
“A specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success, and lifelong achievement of students. To that end, school nurses facilitate positive student responses to normal development; promote health and safety; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self management, self advocacy, and learning.”
Quincy Public School Nurses endorse the following beliefs developed by the American School Health Association and The National Association of School Nurses:
- Every child is entitled to educational opportunities that will allow him/her to reach full capacity as an individual and prepare him/her for responsibility as a citizen.
- Every child is entitled to a level of health which permits maximum utilization of educational opportunities.
- The school health program, through the components of health service, health education and concern for the environment, provides knowledge and understanding on which to base decisions for the promotion and protection of individual, family and community health.
- Parents have the basic responsibility for the health of their children; the school health program activities exist to assist parents in carrying out their responsibilities.
- The core roles that the school nurse fulfills to foster student health and educational success includes; providing direct care to students, providing leadership for the provision of health services, providing/coordinating screening and referral for health conditions, promoting a healthy school environment, promoting/providing health education, serving in leadership roles for health policies and programs, being a liaison between school personnel, family, health care professionals, and the community.
GOALS OF QUINCY PUBLIC SCHOOL NURSES
- Reduce health-related barriers to learning and health related absenteeism thus improving student achievement
- Promote the health, safety, and wellness of all students and staff at Quincy Public Schools
- Promote a positive, collaborative relationship with students, families, colleagues, and the community
- Promote best practices in school health services through professional development and resources.